AWS is the premier standards organization for the development of welding standards. And the AWS D17.1/D17.1M is one of their most frequently-used publications. Now there’s a new 2017 Edition available at Document Center Inc. You can get copies in both paper format and for pdf download.
The standard is titled Specification for Fusion Welding for Aerospace Applications. It is a standard that was developed by industry to take the place of Department of Defense documents being withdrawn during the 1990’s mil spec reform. The first edition was issued as AWS D17.1 in 2001, replacing MIL-STD-2219. The new 2017 revision is the 3rd Edition, making previous editions obsolete.
Fusion welding refers to welding that includes the melting of the materials during the joining process. It is particularly important to the airspace industry since quality demands are high. You’ll find information on both welding practices and non-destructive examination tests for welds in this standard.
The AWS D17.1/D17.1M is arranged in the usual fashion, with the scope, referenced documents and definition sections at the beginning. The standard then covers design, procedure and performance qualification, and fabrication. Section 7 is on inspection, while Section 8 covers the repair of existing structures. Section 9 on non-flight hardware completes the main body of the document. As noted, there are 9 additional Annexes, both normative and information, at the end of the publication.
If you use this standard, you’ll want to know what the changes in the new edition are. Here is the list provided by the AWS Committee:
(1) Removed Annex B for effective throat
(2) Added Annex D—Materials in Table 5.4 with cross-referenced UNS numbers to various proprietary trade names.
(3) Added Annex G—Samples of Welding Forms for WPSs, PQRs, and Welder Performance Qualifications by removing the samples from elsewhere in the standard.
(4) Added Annex H—Qualified Positions for Production Welding
(5) Added Annex I—Common Acronyms Used in this Standard for quick user reference.
(6) Added Figures 5.11C and 5.11D to the standard.
(7) Separated Table B.3 into B.3 and B.3M, one for U.S. Customary Units and one for the International System of Units.
(8) Conversion values were updated to meet the requirements of AWS A1.1, Metric Practice Guide for the Welding Industry.
The committee also used the conventions of underlining text and adding lines in the margins to point out all changes from the previous 2010 Edition.
Now to get your copy of this new publication. Use the Document Center Inc. webstore for your purchase — we are an authorized distributor of these standards. You’ll find us at www.document-center.com. Here is a direct link to the order page for the AWS D17.1/D17.1M for your convenience.
Why do people use Document Center Inc.? We have an extensive collection of standards available for you. You have a wide range of options for delivery format, for payment, and for support services like monitoring the status of your collection. Reach out to us by phone (650-591-7600) or email (firstname.lastname@example.org) for more information. Then make us your Standards Experts!