The IATA, International Air Transport Association, publishes the Dangerous Goods Regulations (DGR). It’s updated each year at this time, so for folks who ship products that are classified as hazardous, it’s essential to keep up with the changes. If you use this manual, you’ll want to purchase the new 56th Edition and you can get your copy from Document Center! It will be in effect as of January 1, 2015 and includes all changes of the ICAO, International Civil Aviation Organization, for the upcoming year. And it also contains the IATA’s operational requirements for airlines as well.
What kinds of changes will you find in the Dangerous Goods Regulations 56th Edition? Here’s a partial list:
- The GHS (Globally Harmonized System for classification and labeling of chemicals) has been added.
- Lithium metal batteries are now prohibited from passenger aircraft.
- There’s new provisions for adsorbed gases.
- Various terms for restraint systems like air bag modules or inflators have been renamed “safety devices,” electrically initiated or pyrotechnic.
- If your shipment of environmentally hazardous substances is less the 5 kg per receptacle, it’s no longer subject to regulations.
- Some restrictions for overpacks have been removed (for cargo aircraft only).
- Provisions for radioactive materials have been updated in response to the 2012 edition of the IAEA (International Atomic Energy Agency) Regulations for the Safe Transport of Radioactive Material.
You’ll use the DGR to determine if your shipment is considered dangerous. And if so, you’ll find complete information on the regulations that apply to your products. With the issue of the safe transport of hazardous material by air in the news, you’ll want to make sure that you’re using the latest information to protect your shipment and those responsible for it during transit.
Order your copy online at the Document Center Inc. webstore, www.document-center.com. Or contact our staff by phone (650-591-7600), fax (650-591-7617) or email (email@example.com). You’ll find we have a wide range of additional services that will help you procure and maintain your compliance information collection. Make us your Standards Experts!