IEC 61558-1 covers the safety requirements for transformers. It has been recently revised with the release of Edition 3.0. The title of this standard is Safety of transformers, reactors, power supply units and combinations thereof – Part 1: General requirements and tests. This new Edition is a technical update and replaces all previous editions (which are now obsolete). You can purchase your copies now from Document Center Inc.
IEC 61558-1 provides you with a set of requirements and tests. These are applicable to most types of transformers. Additional, more specific, information can be found in the IEC 61558-2 series.
Coverage is for independent or association stationary and portable types of transformers. These include dry-type transformers, power supply units (including switch mode power supply units), reactors, and combinations. Windings can be either encapsulated or non-encapsulated.
It goes without saying that the IEC 61558-1 is widely used. For those of you impacted by changes to this standard, the committee has compiled a list of changes in the introductory material. These include:
- fully insulated winding wires (FIW), new tables and aging tests for FIW constructions,
- overvoltage categories 1, 2, 3 and 4 for clearances and dielectric strength tests (new tables) are included,
- new symbols for overvoltage categories, symbol for maximum altitudes if higher than 2 000 m, symbol for plug in power supply units if the pins are damaged (tumbling barrel test), and symbol for minimum temperature (even during the transportation),
- alternative temperature measurement, simulated load and back to back method according to IEC 60076-11,
- short circuit and overload protection, simulated load and back to back method according to IEC 60076-11,
- Table 2 temperature adjustments,
- establishing partial discharge test above 750 V for FIW constructions,
- requirements for toroidal core constructions, division for basic and for supplementary isolation,
- modification of protection indexes for enclosures (IP-code),
- dimensioning of rectangular cross section connectors for transformers,
- repetition test, 80 % of required dielectric strength test voltage of Table 14,
- vibration test for vehicles and railway applications, and
- two Y1 Capacitors for working voltages above 250 V and not exceeding 500 V with overvoltage category 3.
This new Edition is available from Document Center Inc. in paper format, for pdf download and as part of our Standards Online company-wide cloud access service. You can order on the web at www.document-center.com. Here is a direct link to the order page for IEC 61558-1 for your convenience. We are authorized distributors for IEC, so you can order with confidence.
Should you have additional questions or concerns, please get in touch. We can be reached by phone (650-591-7600) and email (email@example.com). Find out why so many organizations make Document Center their Standards Experts!