MIL-HDBK-780 has just been revised. The new Revision D with Change Notice 1 interfiled is titled “Standard Microcircuit Drawings.” This 47-page handbook provides guidance on standard microcircuit drawings (SMD’s) and is available now from Document Center Inc.
The purpose of the SMD program is to minimize the proliferation of specification and source control drawings within the Department of Defense (DoD). The use of one SMD for an item of supply in use by DoD Departments and Agencies is the objective of this program.
A DoD handbook is a guidance document that is not enforceable in a military contract. This particular handbook moves through the format of the SMD drawing section by section, providing definitions, parameters and other clarification for each one. There is even a sample SMD at the end of the document.
Here’s a summary of MIL-HDBK-780D Change 1 modifications:
1. References to MIL-HDBK-512 has been changed to MIL-STD-3018, which supersedes it.
2. References to MIL-STD-1835 and SD-19 have been added.
3. References to ASME Y14.5M has been changed to ASME Y14.5, which supersedes it.
4. The organization notated as ASME has been changed from American Society of Mechanical Engineers to ASME International to reflect the current name.
5. Section 2, and throughout, the web address for acquiring government specifications and standards has been changed to the current address for the Assist online services.
6. Section 184.108.40.206, Classification of conformance inspections has been edited to include Group E which was missing.
7. In various locations, Defense Supply Center Columbus has been changed to DLA Land Maritime to reflect the current name.
8. Figures 1-6 has been changed to reflect current boiler plates.
9. Where applicable, changes were made to comply with MIL-STD-967 for preparation of a military handbook.
These changes are marked in the left margins by asterisks to assist the user of the handbook.
The MIL-HDBK-780 and all publicly distributed DoD documents are available in paper or pdf format from Document Center Inc. Use our website, www.document-center.com, or contact us by phone (650-591-7600), fax (650-591-7617) or email (email@example.com). Don’t hesitate to ask us any questions you may have about these documents. We routinely help our customers with all sorts of issues regarding the standards they use.