ASTM A380/A380M has just been revised. The new 2017 Edition is available now from Document Center Inc. The title is Standard Practice for Cleaning, Descaling, and Passivation of Stainless Steel Parts, Equipment, and Systems. It’s a best-seller here at Document Center.
Passivation is the chemical treatment of stainless steel using a mild oxidant. During this process, a “film” layer is created that protects the steel against corrosion. Descaling and cleaning are used prior to passivation to remove surface contaminants which cause corrosion.
ASTM A380/A380M specifically addresses these processes for new stainless steel parts, equipment, and installed systems. They should not be used for decontamination or cleaning equipment or systems that have been in use. And they are not appropriate for passivation of materials at the mill.
This new 2017 Edition replaces the previous 2013 Edition that I blogged about when it was released (New ASTM A380/A380M 2013 Edition…) It is a technical update, with a number of changes that are summarized at the end of the publication. Here are the highlights:
- References to FED-STD-209 have been replaced by ISO 14644-1 and ISO 1464402.
- Precleaning in sections 5.2.2 and 6.2.11 are now a requirement.
- Updates were made to Section 5.2.2, including a new Section 5.2.3.
- Same for Section 6.2.11, with a new 6.2.12.
- Contents of 7.2.5 are now in 22.214.171.124.
- Sections 126.96.36.199 and 188.8.131.52 were updated.
- Duplex grades were added to tables A1.1. and A2.1.
- Requirements in A1.5 and A2.10 are changed.
- Time spans in Table A2.1 Part II are updated.
For a complete analysis of the revisions, purchase the redline edition. You’ll get a clean copy of the new Revision and a “marked-up” copy of the old one.
To get your new update, make your purchase with an authorized ASTM distributor like Document Center Inc. You can order all ASTM standards (including many obsolete editions if needed) at our website, www.document-center.com. Here is a direct link to the order page for ASTM A380/A380M for your convenience.
Should you want company-wide access to any ASTM standard, choose our Standards Online cloud based service. Talk to our staff about setting up a subscription for your company. We can be reached by phone (650-591-7600) and email (email@example.com). We have a wide range of options for you to make sure you meet your compliance requirements. We’re your Standards Experts!